Monday, October 15, 2007


Athletes and Artists: Not So Different!


I just came across another blog--this one about art and being creative. It's called Sixty Minute Artist, and the author has 4 kids and a full time job and needed to find a way to do art to stop himself from going crazy. So he finds sixty minutes each day to make progress on a painting.


hmmmm. Sounds like some other people I know. People who need to train each day to feel normal. hmmmm. Sounds like me.


So I read his latest post and it's about how to be a successful artist. This piqued my interest because I have always believed that there are similarities between athletes and artists and writers (and probably dancers, musicians, environmentalists and a whole lot of other similar people who have a passion for something.


He mentions that there are 3 things that make a successful artist.


1. Curiosity 2. Commitment 3. Good work habits


Now I am smiling. When I gave my Run For Joy talk at the marathon, I spoke about the many things I feel have been a huge part of my success and how we can all find personal success if we know what we are looking for. My top three were:


1. Overcoming personal barriers. 2. Commitment and dedication. 3. Creating joyful opportunities in racing and training.


My 2 is the same as his 2 and my 1 is the same as his 3. I would even say that my 3 is very close to his 1. Just a different way of saying it.


Curiosity, though. I like that word. It has got me thinking!


Lucy






No comments: