Saturday, October 07, 2006

Well, I am just back from the race, having walked from the impressive War Museum through the paths to Wellington and passing two weddings on the way.

I had a successful day and another good race, though it did hurt like hell for the last 2k, when I decided I better increase my pace and go through 7 more minutes of pain in order to get to the line first. Yes, I am competitive when it comes to running races, just ask my friends. I won, in 33:52, slower than I thought I would run but there seemed to be lot of uphill from 3-8K. Sort of long gradual inclines.

I started fast, running the first kilometre in 3:07 because I felt like hammering the pace and stretching out the field, and then only Nicole Stevenson was with me at 2K and we ran together, and I could feel that she was rallying hard to stick with me. So at 8K (I had scoped out my 'GO' place as I was heading out) I turned it up a notch and hammered home. I knew I could go hard until 9K (another little crest) and then it was all downhill from there and I concentrated totally on turnover and figured nobody would catch me then. Crossing the line, I won my 18th National Championships.


Well, It was lots of fun and a good pay day. I felt strong and smooth, and I wanted to run the way Emilie would: with heart and a lot of desire. Before the race there was a short memorial for Emilie Mondor, who died tragically in a car crash four weeks ago. It was beautiful and her parents were there and of course I cried. I don't think I have ever been on a start line crying, but it was just so sad. After the race I ran back to talk to Emilie's parents in what French I could muster and although I didn't really know what to say, I just wanted to say hello. I can't imagine what they are going through but they smiled and told me they are just trying to remember the wonderful things about Emilie and they know they have to go on. I guess you just have to be sad, and be sad until it fades as there is nothing you can do when you lose a child this way.

Thinking about Emilie, and also my friend Tori who also died in an accident last year, I feel happy that I accomplished my goal of coming here to perform, and that I get the opportunity to keep racing and running with joy.

Lucy

No comments: